For 30 years the Sun Valley Center Wine Auction has stood out as one of the premier summer events in the resort community of Sun Valley Idaho. It started in 1981, after the Center’s founder Glenn Janss visited her vintner friends in Napa Valley for their first charity wine auction. Jass loved the event and transplanted the idea to Sun Valley, Idaho.
From humble beginnings as an afternoon event in someone’s backyard, the auction has evolved into a fun-filled, three-day celebration of wine and the arts, enjoyed by locals and visitors.
Wine Spectator magazine has frequently ranked it as one of the top 10 charity wine auctions in the country.
Where does the Wine Auction take place?
Most of the occurrences, including the main event – the auction and gala – take place at the Dollar Mountain Lodge in Ketchum, Idaho. However, this weekend-long celebration features events all over town. Check out the Sun Valley Center for the Arts wine auction website for a full schedule of events.
What kind of events are being held and when?
The Wine Auction events begin on Thursday, July 19th and culminate on Saturday, July 21st. Some of the highlights from the weekend:
- A dinner with vintners at their private homes. Thursday night.
- Wine and tapas tasting at Boca restaurant in Ketchum. Thursday night.
- Auction lot viewing at Dollar Mountain Lodge. Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Wine and chocolate tasting at the Ketchum Gillr. Friday 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Wine Auction Gala! Dinner, live and silent auction with surprise live entertainment at the Dollar Mountain Lodge. 5 p.m. Friday night.
- Winner’s Brunch at Cristina’s Restaurant in Ketchum. Saturday, 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Wine Tasting Extravaganza under the big tent at Dollar Mountain lodge. Saturday 12:30 p.m. – 3 p.m.
- Wine Auction picnic and concert by MarchFourth Marching Band at Warm Springs Ranch in Ketchum. Saturday 6 p.m. – 9p.m.
Where can I find great Lodging?
Look through our listings for bed and breakfasts in Central Idaho to find a lodging in the Sun Valley region.
Do you love Wine?
Have you, like so many other Americans in the last decade, become a wine lover? If so, have you attended this wine auction or other wine events? Tell us about your experiences!
Check out this video, part two of a series of five about the Wine Auction. See you there!